And now, a dramatic reenactment of its conception. Picture it: Sicily, 1934…
HA, No. It went more like this:
A LIVING ROOM IN ASTORIA. MEMORIAL DAY.
SCD Friend: Yo I want cheese cake
Me: Yeah? Got any Apples?
SCD Friend: Yeah…
Me: Want me to make some? Could go on the blog….
SCD Friend: YETH OMG. But please don’t destroy my kitchen….
FLASHBACK SEQUENCE ENDS
And that is how SCD Apple Cinnamon Cheese Cake was born. Actually, this turned out so good the first time my friend and I ate the whole thing in one day, and I had to make another one last night with different apples! So, you know, there’s technically two cakes worth of pictures on this post. Don’t you feel special?
For those of you wondering- here is the dietary rundown:
- Gluten Free? Check.
- SCD Friendly: Check
- Paleo-Diet- Don’t think so
- Candida Diet Friendly? Yes, if you can handle fruit and a little honey.
- Lactose Content: Very very low, on account of using dry curd instead of cream cheese. But do check with your lactose intolerant friends before serving them.
- Nut Allergies: Not safe, tons of almonds, but no peanuts or walnuts.
- Vegan: Nope
- Weight Watchers: Makes 8 hearty servings, 8 points each.
Did I mention It would * ALSO* also be amazing with some ice cream? Or, Dairy/Sugar Free Ice Cream for those of you on SCD and Candida. (Go on and give Jen some love- her SCD Ice Cream recipe is awesome)
Ingredients And Procedure
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 Cup Almond Flour
- 2 Tbspns Cold butter
- Salt, to taste. I prefer coarser, pink salt or celtic sea salt. You want the crust to be salty.
- Cinnamon, to taste. Let’s say 4 shakes.
- Nutmeg, to taste. Let’s say 1-2 Shakes
- A dash of Almond Extract
- 1/2 Tspn High Quality Vanilla. [Emphasized, because cheaper vanilla means you need to add more to get the right flavor. Yes, I learned it the hard way]
- Optional Hack: a sweetener. If you are not on SCD or the Candida Diet , Brown Sugar works really well.
Note on further hacking: If you are going to do a chilled version of this instead of a baked one, you will need to assemble the crust and bake it separately for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees, or until it is “golden brown”. Don’t forget to omit the eggs in lieu of gelatin and chill in the refrigerator, instead of the oven.
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 2 Eggs, or gelatin, if you are looking to make a chilled pie.
- 1 tspn Vanilla, to “taste”
- 3 Medium Golden Delicious Apples, or any apple of your preference
- 1 Package of Friendship Dry Curd/Farmer Cheese. Or just 8 Oz dry curd, period.
- 1/2 Cup SCD Yogurt, or plain Yogurt
- Optional:1/4 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/4 Cup Honey, less 1 Tbspn. Set aside that last tablespoon. Brown Sugar also works very very nicely here.
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda or Baking Powder
- 2-3 Golden Delicious Apples
- 1 tablespoon Honey or Brown Sugar. You can add more if you like, but I am trying to keep the sugar at moderate levels.
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla, to taste
- Cinnamon- to taste
- Nutmeg- to taste.
Now, Combine! You will want this to cool fully before you even attempt to cut it because it crumbles easily. Personal experience tells me this also tastes much better the next day, but I won’t judge you for digging in as soon as it is cools enough not to burn a hole in your face… 😉
The Final Products
Thanks for reading!
In next week’s recipe: Better photography with color correction and something you can bring to a Greek person’s house (It won’t be lamb, I promise.)